ServiceNow is a powerful technology for companies to manage, optimize and automate digital processes. However, the out-of-the-box solution is not one-size-fits-all. The employee experience (EX) and customer experience (CX) are vital to a successful implementation and thus optimal ROI.
Devoteam has developed a proven approach for excellent EX/CX in ServiceNow, which we will outline in the following, including client cases. The methodology is based on extensive experience, best practices and analyses.
EX/CX is more than good looks and navigation
Firstly, we have to define what constitutes excellent EX/CX. A common misconception is that it is only about good-looking design and user-friendly navigation, but it is notably more. In our experience, superior EX/CX also depends on:
- Service Design: The service system beyond the user interface, i.e. the technology, the processes and the people working to provide services, for instance, incident management and fulfillment processes.
- Design Thinking: The process of creating relevant EX/CX results with analysis, ideation, visualization, test, and validation.
We have condensed all three elements into one concept, Creative Discovery (CD), where we discover and deliver the right solution. Furthermore, we validate the solution based on four essential parameters.
An iterative process with stakeholders and visualization/prototyping
How does the CD process work to get optimal value for ServiceNow?
It is an iterative process where two techniques are particularly decisive:
- Stakeholder involvement: It is vital to have stakeholders on board throughout the process. They are the target group, and only by genuine involvement do we understand the actual pains the users are experiencing with the system. Stakeholder involvement also ensures a significantly higher adoption of the final solution.
- Visualization and prototyping: Whenever we find a possible solution, even in part, we use visualization and prototyping to present them to stakeholders. That way, we get instant feedback, ensure everybody is on the same page and that the final solution provides the expected value.
The explorative process ensures the best possible solution
The CD process effectively adds value to ServiceNow because we work exploratively. No project ends up where it was planned because something happens along the way; new insights, different scope, or the problem has changed. By working exploratively, we can stop at any such points in the process, and reassess and explore the best solutions from that juncture. We do that efficiently by quickly visualizing and prototyping in collaboration with stakeholders. Then we move forward with the most valuable solution until we reach the next critical point and repeat the process. We end up at a different place than we thought at the beginning. But because we have explored all valuable options with the stakeholders along the way, we know that we have arrived at the best possible solution with a high degree of certainty.
To further illustrate how the Devoteam approach to EX/CX can optimize the value of ServiceNow, we have sampled two client cases where we performed the CD process as described above.
Municipality of Copenhagen: A more user-friendly and effective HR solution on a massive scale
The client with more than 45,000 employees has one of the most comprehensive HR ServiceNow solutions in Europe. However, the scope also proved to be a challenge. The system had problems addressing the specific needs of different target groups such as end employees, caseworkers, and management. The vast amount of data also led to navigation, system performance, and communication issues.
The result of the Devoteam process was a significantly improved, more user-friendly ServiceNow solution:
- Better tailored to the workflow of case works, reducing wasted time and frustrations
- More self-service and self-help
- Far fewer calls and tickets
- Increased performance through technical improvements
HOFOR: Redesigned system improves productivity and employee experience
The utility and water suppliers in the greater Copenhagen area had problems utilizing the system. A limited service catalog did not meet the organization’s requirements. Almost half of all services requested were placed in a large misc/other section, resulting in much rerouting. The fulfillment processes were too long, and users got no feedback. Finally, the operations had numerous layers of approval, making the system even more cumbersome. HOFOR conducted a Customer Effort Score (CES), and the result was 5.7. (1= system requires maximum effort, 10= minimum effort).
The Devoteam CD process created a more elegant and sleek ServiceNow solution:
- A new service catalogue modified to the organisation’s specific needs
- New navigation and categorization make it substantially easier to find and request services
- Less rerouting and faster fulfillment
- New design and guidelines for communication with a strong user focus, including affirmed user feedback
- Improved employee experience; new CES was 8.7
If you want to get the most out of your ServiceNow investment, or if you are just curious about our process, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Certified ServiceNow Experts at your service
ServiceNow can empower your employees and clients with digitalized workflows, and Devoteam, as the #1 preferred Partner in the EMEA, is eager and ready to help make your digital transformation journey a success. Ready to see what we can bring to the table?